In these General Terms and Conditions the following terms shall have the following meanings, except where stated otherwise:
Consumer: the natural person who does not act for purposes related to his/her commercial, trade, craft or professional activities;
Day: calendar day;
Digital Content: data produced and delivered in digital form;
Distance Contract: a contract concluded by the International Institute for Animal Ethics, hereinafter referred to “IIAE” and the Consumer within the scope of an organized system for distance selling products, Digital Content and/or services, whereby exclusive or additional use is made of one or more technologies of distance communication up to the conclusion of the contract;
Reflection Period: the period during which the Consumer may use his right of withdrawal;
Sustainable Data Carrier: any means, including email, that allow the Consumer or IIAE to store information directed to him/her personally in such a manner that makes future consultation and use possible during a period that matches the purpose for which the information is destined and which makes unaltered reproduction of the stored information possible;
Form for Withdrawal: the European standard form for withdrawal included in Appendix;
IIAE the International Institute for Animal Ethics, located at Schalm 3, 3927 EH, in Renswoude, The Netherlands and registered with the Trade Register of the Dutch Chamber of Commerce under number 64898954; and
Website: name of the website of IIAE, being https://www.instituteforanimalethics.com
1. These General Terms and Conditions apply to any offer from IIAE and to any Distance Contract concluded by IIAE and the Consumer.
2. Before concluding a Distance Contract, the text of these General Terms and Conditions shall be made available to the Consumer by electronic means in such a way that the Consumer can store it in an accessible manner on a Sustainable Data Carrier. If this is reasonably impossible, IIAE shall indicate in what way the General Terms and Conditions can be inspected and that they will be sent if so requested by electronic means or otherwise without charge, before the Distance Contract is concluded.
3. In the event that specific product or service conditions apply in addition to these General Terms and Conditions, the second paragraph of this Article shall apply accordingly, and in the event of contradictory terms and conditions, the Consumer may always appeal to the applicable provision that is most favorable to him/her/them.
1. Obvious errors or mistakes in the offer are not binding for IIAE.
2. All offers contain such information that it is clear to the Consumer what rights and obligations are attached to accepting the offer.
1. The contract becomes valid when the Consumer has accepted the offer and fulfilled the terms and conditions set.
2. If the Consumer accepted the offer via electronic means, IIAE shall promptly confirm receipt of having accepted the offer via electronic means.
Right of withdrawal
1. The Consumer can repudiate a purchase contract for a product without giving reasons for a Reflection Period of 14 days.
2. The Reflection Period referred to in paragraph 1 of this Article starts on the Day the product is received by the Consumer or by a third party appointed by him in advance and who is not the carrier, or: a. If the Consumer ordered several products in the same order: the day on which the Consumer or a third party appointed by him received the last product. IIAE may refuse an order of several products with different delivery dates provided that it clearly informs the Consumer prior to the order process, b. or in case the delivery of a product consists of several batches or parts: the Day on which the Consumer or a third party appointed by him received the last batch or the last part, or c. in case of an agreement about regular delivery of products during a given period: the Day on which the Consumer or a third party appointed by him received the first product.
3. The Consumer can terminate an agreement for services or an agreement for delivery of Digital Content that is not delivered on a physical carrier without giving reasons during 14 days.
4. The Reflection Period referred to in Article 3 starts on the Day following the conclusion of the agreement.
Consumer’s obligations during the Reflection Period
1. During this period, the Consumer shall handle the product and the packaging with care. The Consumer shall only unpack or use the product to the extent necessary for establishing the nature, the characteristics and the effect of the product. The guiding principle is that the Consumer may only handle and inspect the product in the manner in which one is allowed to handle a product in a shop.
2. The Consumer is liable for the decrease in value of the product that is caused by the way of handling the product which went further than allowed in paragraph 1 of this Article.
Exercising the consumer’s right of withdrawal
1. If the Consumer exercises his right of withdrawal he shall notify IIAE unambiguously with the Standard Form for Withdrawal within the Reflection Period.
2. The Consumer shall return the product or deliver it to (the authorized representative of) IIAE as soon as possible but within 14 days. This need not be done if IIAE offered to collect the product himself. The Consumer observed the period of returning the product in any event if the product is returned before the expiration of the Reflection Period.
3. The Consumer shall return the product with all delivered accessories and if reasonably possible in the original state and packing and in conformity with reasonable and clear instructions given by IIAE.
4. The risk and the burden of proof for the correct and timely exercise of the right of withdrawal fall on the Consumer.
5. The Consumer shall bear the direct costs of returning the product.
6. If performance of the service has been started during the Reflection Period, the Consumer shall pay IIAE an amount that is equal to the part of the obligation already performed at the time of withdrawal as compared with the full compliance of the obligation.
Obligations of IIAE in case of withdrawal
1. If IIAE makes the notification of withdrawal by electronic means possible, he shall promptly send a return receipt.
2. IIAE shall reimburse all payments made by the Consumer, including any delivery costs that IIAE may charge for the returned product, as soon as possible but within 14 days following the Day on which the Consumer notified him of the withdrawal. Unless IIAE offers to collect the product, IIAE can wait with paying back until having received the product or until the Consumer proved that he returned the product, whichever occurs first.
3. IIAE shall make use of the same means of payment that the Consumer used, unless the Consumer consents to another method. The reimbursement is free of charge for the Consumer.
4. If the Consumer opted for a more expensive method of delivery instead of the cheapest standard delivery, IIAE need not reimburse the additional costs for the more expensive method.
Exclusion of the right of withdrawal
IIAE can exclude the following from the right of withdrawal: a. Services agreements, after full performance of the service, but only if
(i) the performance started with the Consumer’s explicit prior consent; and
(ii) the Consumer stated that he will lose his right of withdrawal as soon as IIAE has fully performed the agreement.
b. Products manufactured in accordance with the Consumer’s specifications which are not prefabricated and which are produced on the basis of a Consumer’s individual choice or decision or which are intended for a specific person.
c. Perishable products or products with a limited durability.
d. Sealed products which are for health or hygiene reasons not suitable for being returned and of which the seal was broken.
e. Sealed audio and video recordings and computer programs of which the seals were broken after delivery.
f. Newspapers, periodicals or magazines, with the exception of subscriptions to them.
g. The delivery of Digital Content other than on a physical carrier, but only if
(i) the performance was started with the Consumer’s explicit prior consent, and
(ii) the Consumer stated that he will lose his right of withdrawal by doing so.
1. The prices of the products and/or services provided shall not be raised during the validity period given in the offer, subject to changes in price due to changes in VAT rates.
2. Contrary to paragraph 1 of this Article, IIAE may offer products or services whose prices are subject to fluctuations in the financial market that are beyond the control of IIAE, at variable prices. The offer will state the possibility of being subject to fluctuations and the fact that any indicated prices are target prices.
3. Price increases within 3 months after concluding the contract are permitted only if they are the result of new legislation.
4. Price increases from 3 months after concluding the contract are permitted only if IIAE has stipulated it and a. they are the result of legal regulations or stipulations, or b. the Consumer has the authority to cancel the contract before the day on which the price increase starts.
5. All prices indicated in the provision of products or services are including VAT.
Performance agreement and extra guarantee
1. IIAE guarantees that the products and/or services comply with the contract, with the specifications listed in the offer, with reasonable requirements of usability and/or reliability and with the existing statutory provisions and/or government regulations on the day the contract was concluded. If agreed, IIAE also guarantees that the product is suitable for other than normal use.
2. In any event no claim can be made on paragraph 1 of this Article (i) in case of damage caused deliberately or with gross negligence, (ii) in case of normal wear and/or (iii) in case of damage from improper care or handling. 3. An extra guarantee offered by IIAE, his supplier, manufacturer or importer shall never affect the rights and claims the Consumer may exercise against IIAE about a failure in the fulfillment of the obligations of IIAE if IIAE has failed in the fulfillment of his part of the agreement.
4. ‘Extra guarantee’ is taken to mean each obligation by IIAE, his supplier, importer or manufacturer in whom he assigns certain rights or claims to the Consumer that go further than he is legally required in case he fails in the compliance with his part of the agreement.
Delivery and execution agreement
1. IIAE shall exercise the best possible care when booking orders and executing product orders and when assessing requests for the provision of services.
2. The place of delivery is the address which the Consumer has provided to IIAE
3. The Consumer shall provide IIAE with the correct delivery address and mail address. Any changes need to be reported immediately to IIAE. If the Consumer has entered a wrong address for delivery, then the additional shipping costs will be for the account of the Consumer.
4. Delivery takes place while supply lasts.
5. The ownership of delivered products will be transferred to the Consumer upon payment of the sum due. The risk of the products passes upon delivery to the Consumer.
6. IIAE shall execute accepted orders with convenient speed but at least within 7 days, unless another delivery period was agreed on. If the delivery has been delayed, or if an order cannot be filled or can be filled only partially, the Consumer shall be informed about this within 7 days after ordering. In such cases, the Consumer is entitled to repudiate the contract free of charge and with the right to possible compensation.
7. After repudiation in conformity with paragraph 6 of this Article, IIAE shall promptly return the payment made by the Consumer.
8. The risk of loss and/or damage to products will be borne by IIAE until the time of delivery to the Consumer or a representative appointed in advance and made known to IIAE, unless explicitly agreed otherwise.
1. Unless otherwise stipulated in the agreement or in the additional conditions, the amounts to be paid by the Consumer must be settled within 14 days after the Reflection Period, or, if there is no Reflection Period, within 14 days, after concluding the agreement. In case of an agreement to provide a service, this period starts on the day that the Consumer received the confirmation of the agreement.
2. The Consumer has the duty to inform IIAE promptly of possible inaccuracies in the payment details that were given or specified. Payment orders at the bank or giro institute are for the account and risk of the party giving (or authorizing) the payment order.
Accounts and registration
1. The Consumer can create an account or otherwise register on the Website. IIAE reserves the right to refuse or cancel any such registration, for example in the event of irregularities.
2. The login details are strictly personal and must not be disclosed to third parties. The Consumer is responsible for his login details, even if this is done without his knowledge.
3. The Consumer shall immediately alert IIAE if he suspects that his login details are known by an unauthorized third party or in the event of irregularities.
4. The Consumer may not create or manage more than one account. Moreover, the Consumer shall not be allowed to register or manage an account (again) after IIAE has denied the request of the Consumer to create an account or after cancellation of the registration.
IIAE and the Consumer are not obliged to fulfill any obligation, if they are prevented from doing so due to a circumstance not attributable to fault and which is not regarded as their responsibility, nor by virtue of the law, a legal action or a generally accepted notion.
1. IIAE shall have a sufficiently notified complaints procedure in place, and shall handle the complaint in accordance with this complaint procedure.
2. Complaints about the performance of contracts shall be filed as soon as possible once the Consumer has noticed the defects, comprehensive and clear with IIAE.
3. The complaints submitted to IIAE shall be replied within a period of 7 days after the date of receipt. Should a complaint require a foreseeable longer time of handling, IIAE shall respond within 7 days with a notice of receipt and an indication when the Consumer can expect a more detailed reply.
Privacy and security
1. IIAE respects the privacy of the Consumer. IIAE treats and processes all personal data transmitted to it in accordance with the applicable legislation, in particular the General Data Protection Regulation. The Consumer agrees to this processing. For the purpose of protecting the Consumer’s personal data, IIAE observes appropriate security measures.
2. For more information about privacy, reference is made to the Website of IIAE.
1. Any possible derogations in respect of these General Terms and Conditions may be agreed upon only in writing. No rights can be derived from these deviations with regard to future agreements.
2. The administration of IIAE serves as proof of purchase orders and requests of the Consumer, unless the Consumer proves otherwise. The Consumer acknowledges that electronic communication can serve as proof.
3. IIAE is entitled to transfer the rights and obligations under the contract with the Consumer to a third party, by a single notification to the Consumer.
4. In case and to the extent that any provisions of these General Terms and Conditions are cancelled or declared invalid, IIAE shall draw up a new provision to replace the null/nullified provision, duly observing as much as possible the object and purpose of the annulled provision.
These General Terms and Conditions, and any non-contractual obligations arising thereto, between IIAE and the Consumer are governed exclusively by the laws of The Netherlands.
Appendix Form for Withdrawal
To: International Institute for Animal Ethics, Schalm 3, 3927 EH, Renswoude, The Netherlands.
Email address: email@example.com
I hereby inform you that I wish to revoke our agreement on the following order:
Order number: Ordered/received on (dd-mm-yyyy): (Fill in the date on which you received your order or the date of your order.)
First name and surname
Street name + house number:
Place of domicile:
Signature (Sign this form only if you will not send this form by e-mail or ordinary post.) __________________________
We use the cookies and collect your data in a manner which complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”), the Dutch telecommunication law and all other relevant which is in effect at this moment.
What are cookies?
Cookies are small text files placed on your computer, tablet or mobile phone when you use the website. Cookies are not capable or harming your computer, tablet or mobile phone. Cookies are needed to be able to provide you with a smooth functioning website. We use three types of cookies, namely functional cookies, analytical cookies and tracking cookies. However, we will only use the tracking cookies with your consent. When you do not consent to the use of tracking cookies, the website will work less smoothly as with tracking cookies.
Functional cookies are cookies that are essential for the functioning of IIAE’s website. Without these cookies, IIAE’s website is unable to function properly. This means that these cookies cannot be turned off. There is a difference between session functional cookies and permanent functional cookies. An example of session functional cookies is that we at the International Institute for Animal Ethics may ask visitors to type in a code for automated spam detection service. These and other session cookies are deleted after you have left our website. The permanent cookies are saved to prevent you from having to perform the same action all over again. An example of the use of permanent cookies are purchases which you have saved in your cart on a shopping website. We do not share the information obtained with these cookies with third parties.
What personal data we collect and why
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in your cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year and you can manually erase this on your own computer at any time.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue. For users that register on IIAE’s website, we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). IIAE’s website administrators can also see and edit that information. If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes. In The Netherlands we are obliged to keep any administrative data for a period of seven years.
Analytical cookies are cookies which are needed for the good functioning of IIAE’s website. Thanks to analytical cookies, we know what people search for on IIAE’s website, how long it takes before a page has been loaded and what buttons are pressed by people visiting IIAE’s website. Some analytical cookies may be placed without your consent. Other analytical cookies are only placed when we have your consent to do so.
We use the following analytical cookies:
– We use Google Analytics for our analytical services. Google analytics places a permanent cookie in order to identify your browser. By doing this, your data are shared with Google. We only share data with Google that we are allowed to share with Google according to the GDPR. We use this information combined with other data from other users. Due to this, we are unable to identify you as an individual. We have not given Google permission to share your data with third parties. However, Google can be legally obliged to share your data with third parties. The information which is obtained by Google is anonymized as much as possible. The information is transported and saved on servers in the United States. Google complies with the Privacy Principles and is a member of the Privacy Shield-program from the American Ministry of Commerce. This means that there is a appropriate level of protection for the procession of your personal data. Apart from Google Analytics, we use analytical cookies on IIAE’s website from Yoast and WooCommerce to give you a better shopping experience.
Social media cookies
Right of access, right of rectification, right to object and right to data portability
If you would like to have access to your personal data, if you would like to change or delete your personal data and/or if you would like to transfer your data or have your data transferred to a third party, than please contact IIAE by sending an email to IIAE firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending a letter to: International Institute for Animal Ethics, Schalm 3, 3927 EH Renswoude, The Netherlands
We are constantly trying to keep a good overview on the cookies on IIAE’s website. However, it is possible that third parties place cookies on IIAE’s website. If that happens, you will not find these cookies in this overview. This mainly concerns embedded elements, for example cookies from an embedded YouTube video. Do you find cookies on IIAE’s website that are not listed in this overview? Then please contact us by sending an email to email@example.com
Safety and security
IIAE has taken appropriate technical and organizational measures by using the latest technologies to protect your information against loss or unlawful processing. We use safeguards to help keep the information collected through IIAE’s website secure and take steps (such as requesting a unique password) to verify your identity before granting you access to your account. We request you to do your part to help us. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information, and for controlling access to emails between you and IIAE, at all times.
When do we share the obtained information?
We do not share information that we have obtained with our functional cookies. Information which we have obtained with our analytical cookies are only shared with third parties without your consent after we have anonymized this information. Other information obtained with analytical cookies is only shared with third parties after we have received your consent. Information obtained with tracking cookies is only shared after we have received your consent.
We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from anyone under 16 (“Children“). If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your Child has provided us with personal information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org If we become aware that we have collected personal information from Children without verification of parental consent, we will take steps to remove that information from our servers. If we have collected personal data from you when you in the period that you were a Child and if you would like to have this information removed, we will attempt to delete this data at your request. You can send this request to us by contacting us at email@example.com
Change of control
How to contact us